In its pristine state, water is colorless, tasteless and odorless. In fact, water that smells or tastes funny is the primary reason people turn to bottled water, which is expensive for you and harmful for the environment – millions of barrels of oil are used each year to produce and transport it and billions of plastic bottles are added to our landfills. So, if your water tastes or smells strange, you owe it to yourself to find out why.
The taste chlorine is unappealing and can also dry out your skin and hair. While municipalities use chlorine to disinfect the water supply, it should be filtered out before you use it to eliminate these effects.
A metallic taste in your water usually means your pH level is off. When the pH level is lower than normal it can cause that metallic taste. Lead and copper can dissolve into the water leading to a “penny-like” taste to the water, and causing the water to flunk the health related parameters for lead and copper content.
These types of complaints are generally the results of compounds released due to decayed vegetation and are typically associated with different forms of algae. They are most prevalent in supplies that use surface water as their supply. While rarely toxic, they are nonetheless unpleasant and can be offensive at a very low concentration.