Customer Profile: Sublime Brewing Company
Sublime Brewing Company of Plymouth, New Hampshire started out as just another pipe dream, according to brewers and co-owners Greg Aprilliano and Dave Sanborn. “As Dave and I enjoyed an evening with our families on beautiful Squam Lake and sipped a delicious home brew, the idea of creating a unique place, experience, and beer in Plymouth, NH began,” Aprilliano says. Although they faced the typical obstacles in starting a new business—including money and time constraints—Aprilliano and Sanborn took the plunge and forged ahead with their quest to create the perfect pint.
The pair seemed to have the perfect recipe for a success: a passion for brewing, a desire to succeed, and the support of their families and friends. But there was a major problem with one of their most important brewing ingredients: water. Their water had very high levels of iron and manganese, chemical elements frequently detected in many artisan wells in New Hampshire. “From my years of home brewing experience, I knew that water quality, makeup, and composition was key. It drives whatever beer flavors you are trying to create,” Aprilliano notes.
The Importance of Water Quality in Brewing Beer
The importance of water quality in brewing beer cannot be overstated as it constitutes roughly 95% of its total ingredients (with grain, hops, and yeast comprising the remaining 5%). “You can have a perfect beer recipe, with everything sterile and sanitized, and follow every step, but if your base water is off, you’re dead in the water. It’ll taste awful,” Aprilliano says. “All you need is one bad batch and your customers will never come back,” he adds.
Special (Water) Treatment
Aprilliano confesses that he called a few water treatment system companies for help before coming to Secondwind Water Systems. “To be honest, I didn’t sense any urgency to help us,” he says. “The most important thing is to find someone who understands the gravity of your situation; someone willing to work with you, no matter how small your company is,” he adds. Aprilliano says he got that right away from Secondwind. “I talked to them and immediately felt better, knowing someone was there in our corner. I wanted someone to come in and take over and tell me what I needed. I felt confident Secondwind could help. It was huge relief,” Aprilliano explains.
The typical solution for high iron and manganese levels is a water softener treatment system. However, this treatment wasn’t going to work for Sublime Brewing Company because softened water, which contains sodium, isn’t good for brewing beer. Sodium is added into the water in the process of removing the iron and manganese.
A Two-Part Commercial Water Treatment System
After running some additional water tests, Secondwind came up with an alternative, two-part water treatment system. The first part involves aerating the water, which makes the iron and manganese oxidize into hard particles. In the second part of the system, the water goes through greensand media, which traps all of the iron and manganese particles. The filter cleans itself on a preset frequency, requiring very little maintenance.
We were really happy to be able to help Greg and Dave. We were determined not to let their water issues interfere with their dream of running such a fun and exciting business. We expect big things from Sublime Brewing Company and the Secondwind team will always be there to support them as they continue to grow.
The Result? Some Very Tasty Beer
With their water quality issues under control, Aprilliano and Sanborn are well on their way toward their dream of creating the perfect pint. In fact, they presently have nine delicious artisan beers that boast clean, bold west coast flavors and east coast balance and drinkability. Demand for their hand-crafted brews is so high, Sublime is in the process of expanding their fermentation capacity. In fact, over 12 area restaurants want to put Sublime Brewing Company’s beer on their menu.
You can get a taste of Sublime Brewing Company’s seasonal brews at the Last Chair restaurant, located at 5 New Hampshire Highway 25 in Plymouth. Hours are 4-9 pm, Monday through Thursday; 11:30 am to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday; and 11:30 am to 8 p.m on Sunday.
Commercial Water Treatment Systems in NH
At Secondwind Water Systems, we know how important water quality is to the success of your business. This is especially true for breweries and wineries. And lucky us–we’re developing an expertise in these areas! To learn more about Secondwind Water System’s commercial water treatment systems, contact us today!