As a property owner/ homeowner, every purchase made is for one of three reasons or a combination thereof.
1. A purchase made to increase the value of that property. These are items that you know a potential home buyer will want to see when looking at a home. The best examples being a kitchen or bathroom remodel, or the installation of new siding or roofing.
2. A purchase made to save you money over the long term. Best examples being new high efficiency toilets and appliances, or the installation of a new high efficiency furnace for the home’s heating. Your initial investment on such product is made in order to save money long term.
3. A purchase made to improve your quality of life as the resident of that home. These are the fun purchases. Additions, basement finishes, recreational outside areas, etc.
You may ask, which of these categories does a water softening system fall under?
The answer is… all of the above of course !
1. When purchasing a home, water treatment systems are often incredibly important to a potential home buyer. This is especially true with well-water supplies where awareness about water quality problems is much greater. A home buyer looking to purchase a home on a well water supply may consider a water softener, filter, or drinking water system an item they are going to have to buy once they move into a home. When water treatment is existing it makes the potential buyer feel much better about the property in general and the safety of their family. A home buyer might say, “Oh, these people have a nice, well maintained water softening system. They must take great care in making sure this house is in good shape and that their family is safe.”
2. A water softening system has a fantastic financial return on investment. When a home’s water contains hardness in the form of minerals, the impact will be widespread throughout the house.
a. Studies show that hard water can result in the waste of as much as 70 % of the overall soap that is used in the home. Think of the countless soap products used in keeping our homes and bodies clean. Laundry and dishwasher detergents, glass and surface cleaners, specialty cleaners (CLR, Iron out). All of this is in addition to personal soaps, shampoo, conditioners, etc. A typical 4-person household could save as much as $50 per month in soap costs.
b. Hard water limits the efficiency of all hot water heating systems. Precipitated hardness minerals amass where the water is heated such as the heating element in a hot water heating system. This means wasted money in your monthly hot water heating costs. In addition, hot water systems working with hard water are more likely to require maintenance. With the going rate for a plumber being greater than $100 per hour, this can mean huge money savings.
c. Hard water scale and curd accumulates on clothing and textiles. A study done by Purdue University claimed that the lifespan of these products when cleaned in hard water was reduced by 15 %.
3. Lastly, a water softening system can vastly improve your quality of life. Imagine showering in luxurious, clean and clear soft water free of hardness minerals. Bathing in soft water will result in softer skin and smoother hair. It is a fact that every hair and skin product on the market promises soft skin and smooth hair, but it is difficult to deliver on these promises when hard water is present.
Homeowners with soft water love their water…and for good reason. Their soft water has added resale value to their property, it has saved them thousands of dollars over the life of their water system, and it has improved their overall quality of life. That is a water Trifecta!
Contact us for a free water test in order to determine what your ROI will look like!